Monday, April 20, 2009

Contentment

Warning: this may be shocking to some of you. But, every now and then I get exhausted from motherhood. I miss my sleep, my time to myself and my overall sanity. I hit a breaking point on Friday night and went to bed exhausted, spent, zero left to give. So, I told Ken that I needed some "me time." Great - he said - do it. What's stopping you?

So, I spent the morning with the girls - running errands, taking them to the park, going out for pizza, pulling some weeds in the yard, etc. Then, I carved out the afternoon for "me time." I got my hair done, I wandered around the mall aimlessly, I got a smoothie, I searched for a new picture for our living room. Pretty much did nothing. Then, I get a call from Ken on my cell phone "GUESS WHAT??? Erika just took her first steps!!" Most moms would be gleeful. I was resentful. "WHAT? How could this happen? Why am I so selfish, how could I miss such an amazing event in my daughter's life." So, I rushed home. Erika just comes crawling towards me - happy I'm there. She didn't care that I missed it. She was content.

Then, I'm tucking Marilynn into bed, and I asked her what her favorite part of the day was - imaging she would say going to the park (first time after weeks of rain), watching cartoons with daddy, going out for pizza, etc. Instead, she says "picking grass with you." Meaning - hanging out with you doing your least favorite chore of pulling weeds. And for that moment, I'll always be grateful. I realize that my kids are content with the little things, and I'm lucky to be their mommy . I'm going to appreciate these moments, because they won't be little forever.
Here's a few pictures from the weekend:


1 comment:

Mary said...

What a lovely piece. Thank you for writing your blog.